[Rhodes22-list] Gas Tanks Brand Name is ...

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Jun 13 23:31:00 EDT 2006

Charles,

The Tohatsu 3 gal tank fits easily under the seat, and should give you
at least 3 hours of motoring on one tankful--more than enough in most
situations.

I don't like to carry suicide bomber quantities of gas on board, as I
feel no good will come of it.  The gas gets stale, is subject to water
contamination, and who needs gallons of gas sloshing around all over the
cockpit.

I have purchased Briggs and Stratton EPA compliant gas containers for
refilling the 3 gallon tank.  Apart from the high cost (around $20) I
have been very happy with these tanks.  The tanks are ventless, and
completely seal when the trick spout is snapped into the off position.
You can transport fuel with the tanks upside down and nothing will leak
out.  More practically, this means you can lay the tanks sideways to get
them under the seat, and then turn them right side up.  When right side
up and wedged in by the squat Tohatsu tank, they won't move in any
direction.

The B&S tanks don't spill a drop when you refill the main tank.  You
turn the trick spout, grasp the tank by its two handles, invert it, put
the trick spout into the main tank...nothing is spilling while you do
this...and push the trick spout on the lip of the main tank.  Only then
does the gas flow, and continue to flow until you release the pressure
on the lip, or the fluid level in the tank reaches up to the spout, in
which case the spout automatically snaps back to the shut position.

The tank vents through the trick spout, so the flow is slightly slower
than a traditionally vented tank, but you literally don't spill a drop.
Ever.

I have to move all my gas from shore to my mooring, and I have been very
happy with these tanks.  When I need more than 3 gallons of gas I take
along extra B&S tanks.  Most of the time I keep one extra which I use to
top off my main tank as needed.  This means I always have 3 gallons of
fresh gas available plus whatever is in the B&S.  When the B&S is empty
I take it to the gas station, refill it, have 5.5 gallons of gas on
board, and allow it to be slowly consumed.

I average substantially less than 10 gallons of fuel a year.  My gas
lines never empty, and I never have to disconnect my hose from my
motor.  I have very few gas related problems using this system.  Maybe none.

Bill Effros