[Rhodes22-list] Ebay/Paypal Phishing

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Jun 14 17:31:08 EDT 2006

"Dear Paypal customer,
It has come to our attention that an unauthorized user has accessed your
account."

Or

"Your account has been suspended."

Or

"Your account needs updating."

This came up a couple weeks ago and I'd like to report that I now have
received 30 such spoofs in the last couple months.  The best thing to do is
forward the message to spoof at paypal.com  Do not change the subject line and
do not send it in an attachment--just forward it and then delete it.  They
claim they investigate every one.

I've been sending complaints to Paypal and I finally got a response from
them to do the above.  They also say you can often spot the spoofs in the
"From" line.  Anything other than https://www.paypal.com before any / is a
spoof.  Ex:  service at paypal.com or security at paypal.com  are spoofs.  More
telling is if they ask for any personal info.

Never click on a link in a suspicious email.  You can always and safely go
to your account at https://paypal.com and check your account, but type in
the URL directly--never use the links.  Change your password regularly.

I forwarded all 30 to them and immediately got an automated reply that
confirmed none were sent to me from Paypal or eBay.

Slim
Customer Service Department