[Rhodes22-list] Bill's Bahama Adventure

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Tue Jun 20 02:13:41 EDT 2006

Sorry its taken some time to post to the list, but I have scarcely had time
to look a the pictures since my return.  I am working diligently on
recording the events of this trip before my memory fades.  I would love to
be able to post the pdf format like Chris did for his Baja trip, but I
don't have the software to create pdf files....yet.

While sitting on an airplane this morning I jotted down some of the things
I learned on this trip.  Here they are listed in no particular order:

+  The built-in ice chest easily holds 30 lbs. of ice, but lasts only 3
days (I wish it had been block ice).
+  I can motor for 12+ hours at or near hull speed on one tank of gas (6.6
gals).
+  The autopilot was worth its weight in gold.
+  The remote control for the autopilot was “nice to have” but
non-essential.
+  Wiring the autopilot to my GPS was worth the effort.
+  Dead reckoning is an essential skill and fun to practice, but a mapping
GPS sure is wonderful.
+  Even with a mapping GPS, you can still run aground.
+  It is true that you should NOT rely solely on a GPS.  It should be
augmented with good paper charts; or rather the paper charts should be
augmented with a GPS.
+  Color coded “sippy” cups were a good idea.  It was the little things
that made the trip so much more enjoyable.
+  The fewer dishes and utensils you take, the fewer you have to clean, but
it is very nice to have the right pot or pan or utensil for the job.
+  Joy baths really do work.
+  Thunderstorms in the open water are scary.
+  Don’t trifle with the Gulf Stream.  It is to be respected.
+  The ocean is a really big place.
+  Planning pays, but be prepared to deviate from those plans…..and just
plain be prepared.
+  There is nothing quite so nice as an ice cold "beverage" after being
away from civilization with no ice for 9 days.
+  The basic law of sailing/cruising that you have heard about is in fact
true:  the wind almost always blows from the direction in which you want to
go.
+  Whenever you impose a “schedule”, that is when sh&@ happens.
+  Whenever you impose a “schedule”, that is when the weather will turn to
sh*%
+  You really get to know someone when you live together on a 22 foot
sailboat.
+  Fishing is not like it looks on those sportsman TV shows.
+  A protected calm anchorage at the end of a long day is a blessing.
+  Mosquito netting is worth more than its weight in gold when it gets
buggy.
+  A good anchor is essential for a good nights sleep.  Make that two good
anchors.
+  Did I say that a thunderstorm with gusty winds and ground (that is
water) strike lightening is scary?
+  No air conditioning, rolly anchorages, windless buggy nights, dinner
from a can after failing to catch a fish, warm drinking water, long boring
open water passages interrupted by short periods of terror…..Yes, it was
worth it!!!

There are many more tid bits, but these happen to be the first ones to pop
into my head.

Stay tuned.....