[Rhodes22-list] Cooking on Board

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Jun 20 08:58:00 EDT 2006

Thanks, Slim,

I think we all realize that we are playing with fire with these things,
and that most sailors, even those with much larger boats, are doing the
same thing.

On a safety scale of 10, where we operate in the 8-9 range most of the
time, open flames inches away from combustible materials, marginally
secure fixtures, floating on water, inadequate fire extinguishers, tanks
full of gas...cooking on board probably falls into the 1-2 range.

Don't try this at home.

And then there are those fish feeder Bar-B-Ques hanging off the stern
rail with all the food falling into the water, and people leaning over
fire to try to cook...

If you've got a burner inside the cabin, why not move the Magma inside
the cockpit where you can control it better?

The Magma clamps are expensive, but excellent.  You can secure those
things, and some of the BBQs will function well as burners as well as
grillers.

They make a nice table like the one Chris made for himself complete with
the clamps required.

Many more thoughts on cooking on board, but no time right now.

Bill Effros