[Rhodes22-list] Le Menagerie stays in the family

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Jun 20 11:13:14 EDT 2006

Jim, the more I hear from you, the better I like you. One of these days, we'll even actually meet :)
Way to go.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com 6/20/2006 10:06:43 am >>>
Yesterday my almost 17 year old son was working over at a friend of ours boathouse, doing some for-hire manual labor. We brought him some lunch and sat under the porch looking out at the harbor. I happen to keep Le Menagerie on his side dock, right in our line of view.

  Several weeks ago, my son helped me deliver our new boat, Olivia. During the trip he assumed long wheel and deck watches. He had never expressed much interest in sailing with us before this, although he is a surfer and worked as a deckhand aboard a headboat last summer.

  We inherited this kid two years ago from my ex, I had never had a great deal of time other than the every other weekend / occasional summer visitation with him. He was a real case - rebellious, screwed up on dope, the whole nightmare nine yards. After applying the hammers of hell, he has turned around (even gets good grades now) and is now a very integral part of the family - even babysits the twins (without too much protest).

  Anyway, yesterday we were talking about having the other two boats up for sale (yeah, I have a San Juan 23 too, which just sold). He looked at us both and said how he sure wished Menagerie would stay. He really wanted to take it over, learn to sail. So I decided right then and there, hell, we'll never be rich anyway, and what's the sale of a boat as fine as the Rhodes gonna prove anyway....a few buck in the pocket? It was really a matter of time and effort more than anything else. We made a deal. I'd keep Le Menagerie, buy out my partner and he could consider her "his" boat. He'll have to be responsible for her upkeep, maintenance, which is what I was afraid I wouldn't have time for anyway. And of course, in teaching him how to sail, I'll still get to keep my hand in it. Works for me.

  So today I am pulling the ad in SailTexas.....

  jw

Jim White
Le Menagerie
www.lemenagerie.blogspot.com