[Rhodes22-list] David Keyes and 9.9 ??

David R. Keyes dkeyes at houston.rr.com
Wed Jun 21 00:12:58 EDT 2006

Ed,

In answer to your question, I still haven't decided--and in the meantime my
boat sits idle at the dock. But it's been a good time for maintenance, since
my boat stays in the water full time.

I've been talking with Stan and am still looking at various possibilities.
He points out that several of the boat owners have come up with solutions to
the linkage problem with other types of motors, and that Stan has not fully
researched the other available motors.  He says that Yamaha has stopped
making the type of engines that he needs for his UPP setup.  He has told me
what to look for in Yamaha high thrust electric start engines.  We need a
model year 2004 or earlier.  He can remove the tiller and buy separately the
throttle/shift box and cable kit.  He can work with a 20" or 25" shaft.  If
I find some (I think I've located one or more in Canada), he will buy all of
them, saving one for me.  He and I are both suspicious that the labor
portion of the estimate to fix my 2001 Yamaha 9.9 ( $1,400 to install $590
of parts) sounds excessive.  The  $2,200 estimate, plus the cost of a
tune-up and a propellor restoration or replacement would bring the total
bill to the same as what Stan paid for a new engine back in 2001.  But it is
also a pain in the neck to lug that broken motor around for other estimates,
and to get a good estimate I would probably do better to bring it all the
way from Austin (where we are weekends) to Houston (where we are the rest of
the week).

Having said all this, my guess is that I will have my old engine fixed,
notwithstanding that it is too heavy, makes the boat lean to port (along
with the weight of three marine batteries all on the port side) and, most
importantly, is a pain in the ass (or in my case, my ankle, hip and
shoulder) to get the engine off the boat for service.

 I am still looking at descriptions of other brands of motors.  But I am not
really aware of what the situation would be with another brand, without
actually trying one on the boat.  Would another motor have sufficient
clearance off of Stan's UPP pulley and trolley system?  Would the cowl cover
at the top of the engine support a properly alligned bolt for the linkage?
Would there be some other problem that I would discover only after I bought
an engine?  Would a remote cable kit be of proper length cables, and have
the right shape of control box for mounting on the tiller or in another
desirable location?  I don't think I am going to find out the answers to
these questions except insofar as we have comments on the R22 list from
other owners who have installed other types of engines.

I will keep you posted.

David