[Rhodes22-list] Autopilot

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jun 21 13:40:17 EDT 2006

From: "William E. Wickman" <wewickman at duke-energy.com>
{snip}
> And here is my plug for
> customer service at Raymarine.  When I got home I emailed them about the
> problem and they promptly replied to send it into their warranty repair
> service center.  Three days later a brand new unit was waiting on my
> doorstep.  I also found Raymarine very helpful and quick to respond when I
> emailed their tech support with some questions regarding the installation
> and operation of the tiller pilot.

I think that they owe your more that good service, considering your
testimony here.  I am very impressed with the detail presented.  Thanks for
the great reporting.

{snip}
> In summary, I will repeat what others have said.  An autopilot is
wonderful
> to have if you are making long passages or single handing.  Going out just
> a few hours, you might have limited use for one although there is a lot to
> be said for being able to focus on your spouse or date instead of having
> keep your hand on the tiller…

Being able to focus on the spouse is usually not related to keeping my hand
on the tiller, although if I have overindulged and am unable to focus, a
backup steering device might be useful, though it still doesn't steer around
objects (fixed or moving) - that's when I turn over the tiller to crew or
the Admiral

Mike