[Rhodes22-list] Problem shrouds = location of answer for David

Todd Zumach zoomerzx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 15:43:39 EDT 2006

At the risk of getting flamed, I will add my input to this conversation.

1.  I have a hard copy of the manual and have read it multiple times (it is
good reading).

2.  I am not an engineer, but I am the type of person who would prefer
concrete numbers to concepts like "hand tighten".  I also suffer from
"Gorillaitis", that is, I tend to over tighten, use too much force, or a
bigger hammer at times and have broken a few things in my days.

3.  I have read other sources regarding shroud tension and have found both
"keep them loose" and "keep them tight" opinions.  One point that I thougt
seemed reasonable was that a rig that was "too loose", would allow actually
allow shock loads to occur.  That author suggested that the lee side should
should not go noticably slack.

4.  The previous owner of my R22 showed me how tight he kept the shrouds and
urged me to not over tighten by using a pliers.  He also told me to make
sure to hold on to the shroud above the turnbucke in order to keep the
shroud from twisting.  I do use a small wrench to hold on to the shroud to
keep it from twisting and use my hand to tighten the turnbuckle.

5.  I have read the spec from Roger's post and based on other noted
suggestions I do not tighten quite as tight as he recommended.

6.  How do I know how tight are the shrouds?  I asked received a Loos guage
as a gift (per my request).

7.  I have only used the guage for this spring's initial set up and choose
set up the lower shrouds at 120 pounds and the upper at 150 pounds.  Those
were determined by playing with the tension until the all felt "good" and
then measuring with the guage.

8.  Next week, when I put the boat back in the water, I will use the guage
again and confirm my settings and report back to the group.

Capn Z
Phillips, WI