[Rhodes22-list] Fiberglass repair techniques & maintenance

Lou Rosenberg steadilsr at verizon.net
Sat Jun 24 21:58:17 EDT 2006

Mike,
  My only criticism ,if so allowed, of the Don Casey Book  "Sailboat
Hull and Deck Repair" is that he doesn't  give as much time to
smaller boat maintenance, ie: different centerboard configurations,
and chainplate anchorages.  For example, only by talking to a
surveyor did I find out that the the Rhodes 22 lower shroud
chainplates can only be serviced by taking the cabin off the hull.
( Unless one is inclined to cut a hole inside the cabin with a
sawsall, which I would not recommend.)
The book seems to be aimed at the 26-40ft category of sailboats.  It
still is a fine reference for anyone beginning work with epoxy and or
structural renovations, including the acceptable ways to brighten up
bad gelcoat.
Lou