[Rhodes22-list] Problem shrouds = location of answer for David

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Jun 25 00:38:10 EDT 2006

OK, I know it's not a Rhodes, but I will say I use my Loos guage everytime I take the mast down and put it back up (and every now and then without taking the mast down).

However, sometimes people will ask me what I set it at. I tell them I don't know (I really don't). I use the 15% recommendation in the instructions, but only as a guide. What I really do is tune them all by hand until they "feel right" see how close I am to the 15% (I'm usually a little shy), then firm them up. Then, I do one more check all around to make sure they all read the same number. I don't care what it is (unless it's WAY off that 15% guideline), I just want them to read the same on each side.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> flybrad at gmail.com 6/24/2006 2:27:36 pm >>>
Another red letter day!  Bill Effros makes perfect sense!

Rummy, sometimes I wish you weren't so shy and would just speak your mind.

This discussion reminds me of my days as an apprentice aircraft mechanic.  I
asked my boss why we weren't using a torque wrench on whatever we were
working on.  He said, "oh yeah, go get one".  I checked his work and most
were very, very close to correct.  He said, "go get the other one and check
again".  They were still very close but also different.  Then he said,
"trust me kid, it's hard to beat a man at his own craft".

I asked the guy who stepped the mast and rigged my boat (the same guy who
delivered it) if I needed to borrow a loos guage.  He rolled his eyes and
said, who has one you can trust?

Simple is sometimes the best method.

Brad