[Rhodes22-list] RE: Public Announcement from Stan

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.us
Sun Jun 25 10:15:17 EDT 2006

I appreciate everyone's responses to the posts that were made.  I am located
at Lake LBJ in Central Texas.

I want to be clear that I too, have a lot of respect for Stan even though I
have never met him in person.  I admire his innovative approach, design and
the high level of quality that I see in the Rhodes.  Not a day goes by that
someone doesn't comment favorably about the boat.  Each compliment received
is a tribute to Stan and what he has accomplished.  I don't expect anyone to
do anything for me for free.  I will be sending the consulting fee to Stan
because it's the thing to do and if he says that I got caught in a routine
mail out, then I believe him and that's the end of it.

After having gone through the used boat buying process several times and now
this one-"buyer beware" really is appropriate.  Rhodes 22 sailboats are more
expensive compared to other 22 foot boats and rightly so-they are unique and
you get more features.  Unless someone is truly experienced with sailboats
and issues that can arise with used boats, they are probably better off
going through the recycle program.  I probably came out OK because I have a
bit of experience and negotiated some slack to cover the expenses that I
expected.  If you don't do your homework you could come out a lot worse.  If
you take a recycled boat from GB, all those issues have hopefully been
resolved. The main thing that I avoided was having to trailer a boat half
way across the country which was a very big issue for me and probably is for
a lot of people.  Incidentally, I don't think the problem is communicating
to people the advantages of going recycled or new.  The website does a good
job of that.  The problem is the availability of a hands-on experience.  A
trip to Edenton while a wonderful thing, may be tough logistically for some
with busy schedules.  Potential boat buyers and we have all been there, want
to be able to go aboard, walk around and touch things and of course, talk
your ear off.   Rhodes owners can help GBI and ultimately themselves by
being good ambassadors.  Stan knows that I had a problem finding a boat to
even go and look at as I had never seen a Rhodes 22 in person-there aren't
many around here.  My first post to the list was inquiring if there was boat
close by that I could go and look at.  Stan should also know that we no
longer have that problem in Central Texas because I hope he knows that he
can refer anyone he wants to me to come and see my boat.  I would also tell
them of my experiences and the virtues of a recycled boat or new vs. going
on your own because I think the argument does have merit.  If I could help
sell some boats for Stan, I would be glad to do it.

Shroud Question:  The lee, lower shrouds at 200 lbs are loose, almost
swinging freely in a wind of about 10-15 mph close-hauled.  I don't think
this is quite right, but on the other hand the lee upper at ~ 250 lbs is
probably only going slack but not completely loose which is probably about
right.  My understanding is that you can do damage if there is too much
tension or not enough.  I think the lees should go somewhat slack but not
completely loose in a moderate wind, but I have no experience with this
boat.  The Loos gauge is difficult to use correctly as someone already
mentioned.  Even at dock, if the boat is not on its lines, heeling with your
weight on one side of the deck-the reading will be inaccurate.  I am pretty
sure my 200 lbs is fairly accurate and at 200 you can still twist the cables
by hand.  What does everyone see happening with their lee shrouds
close-hauled is my question?  Slack or loose?  Maybe I'm where I should be.
If so, the boat is OK and I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for the info,
David