[Rhodes22-list] Reduce your federal income tax (political humor)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 10:43:51 EDT 2006

Stan,

You guys getting serious about what this or that economist said makes me
nervous.  Maybe it just reminds me of all those undergrad classes I skipped
to go flying.  Guns or butter?  Screw that!  Airplanes or beer!

Wasn't it Ricardo who first proposed the idea of comparative advantage?
People don't actually like to stare it in the face because it may affect
them personally.  For example, if we could train Chinese pilots to fly
American airplanes for ten cents on the dollar, whoa!  Forget that, we've
already done that with American pilots.  Bad example.

Here's one.  We pay billions of dollars to subsidize American cotton
farmers.  We pay billions of dollars to help poor starving African
countries.  Why don't we just let African farmers grow cotton, something
they can do, and cut the subsidies to both?

We're not a minute into this conversation and I'm already depressed.  No
wonder it is called "the dismal science".

What economist said "in the long run we'll all be dead?"

Brad