[Rhodes22-list] Education

Jim White lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 15:07:46 EDT 2006

Rummy:
  I second, third and fourth that motion. The feds sure as heck don't have any bidness in state education...

  And I'm not afraid to admit it when the Great State of Tejas screws up it's own education system either.

  Take for example the "Robin Hood Initiative", whereby the state takes school tax money from the affluent school districts to endow the poor ones, kinda level the playing field (yea I know I've talked about this before, but here's a great example of why such nonsense doesn't work):

  Port Isabel is considered a "rich" district based on the property assessments on South Padre Island (where you can't even buy a house lot under 100K). However, Port Isabel, where the majority of folks with school kids reside is an intrinsically poor, commercial fishing town. Generally low income. Lots of impoverished folks.

  The state grabbed the better chunk of Port Isabel School Districts' school tax revenues to disburse to "poor" districts, thus forcing PI school district to levy bond in order to do things like fix the 50 year old gymnasium, and upgrade the ancient air conditioners. Who has to foot majority the bill? The low income residents of Port Isabel of course.

  Most of the "rich" residents (numbering about 1500) on the island are either Mexican nationals (yea they can own land in the US), or out of staters who own rental or vacation properties.

  Kinda ironic ain't it....a rich district with no money?

  jw

R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
  Whoa,
Bull cookies. Education is a states responsibility. You can't blame a
particular states lack of education facilities and capabilities on the federal
government. It's a state issue.

Rummy

Jim White
Le Menagerie