[Rhodes22-list] Reduce your federal income tax (political humor)

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jun 30 08:40:41 EDT 2006

Dave,

Birth Certificates are city by city.  Some states are trying to fix
things in order to comply with Medicare laws.  But states have a
financial interest in excluding as many people as possible.  Call them
"welfare cheats" and send them on their way.   How do you prove that
you're more than 65 years old if you don't have a birth certificate?
How can we provide services to people when they all say they have no
birth certificates?  These problems are complicated, and the only thing
you can be sure of is that the simple answers are wrong.

In WWII those weren't cruise ships.  They were ships hired by wealthy
refugees to escape the Nazis.  No one let them land.

The "cruise ship" or easier "airport" immigration is why the walls won't
work.  Around here, the illegals earn enough in a day, after taxes, to
fly into this country.  They can get visas.  They can say they are just
traveling.  They can visit their Uncle for the Summer...and work as part
of his lawn care crew...

Now, the Uncle can pay the kid "off the books" just as many Americans
pay their nephews "off the books" -- No taxes, the kid gets more, the
Uncle pays less.  But you can't base your business on this because,
sooner or later, you're going to get caught, and you don't want to lose
your business just to help illegal workers.

Cities, States, and the fed wink at the illegals, but they throw you in
jail and then deport you if you cheat them out of their money.

I think the day labor hiring is mainly a "Nanny" problem in terms of the
numbers--a lot of people go to those parks to hire gardeners, day
laborers, etc. and pay them "off the books".  The number of people
hanging out in those parks is just a fraction of a fraction of the
number of illegals employed.  Most of the illegals are hired by major
corporations who couldn't provide the goods and services at the prices
required to compete without the labor provided by illegals.  They pay
full taxes on all of them, but our laws are constructed to make it
difficult for the illegals to get back much of the money they are forced
to kick in.  They consider it a cost of doing business.

In the old days we forced the men to leave their families behind, but
the situation has become so confused that many now bring their full
families with them, completely skewing the "cost/benefit" ratio out of
our favor.

You can't run a real business on day laborers.  It takes you longer to
train them than a day.  If you try to sneak some of them in without
paying taxes, all of your other employees want to be paid "off the
books" too.  You can't run labor intensive businesses without showing a
payroll.  You can't show a payroll without paying the taxes connected to
that payroll.

Everybody cheats on their taxes, but nobody with half a brain cheats in
a way they might get caught in order to benefit an illegal hired for a
day from outside a Home Depot.

The contractors caught in various parts of the country are an ice cube
on an iceberg.  The problem is so vast most of us can't wrap our minds
around it.  Do you really think that Hispanic girl who is mopping the
floor at McDonald's is here legally?

40 years ago Xerox wanted to move its corporate headquarters to
Greenwich, but Greenwich wouldn't let them.   Greenwich knew every high
paid executive would bring with him 10 low paid support staff.  The
taxes paid by the low paid workers would not be sufficient to offset the
cost of services required by allowing them into Town.  I think this is
what's really happening with the illegals.  It's not that they don't pay
taxes, it's that if they bring their families, their families are
entitled to services we can't stop them from using.

Some people say if we simply reduce the services rather than restrict
the illegals we will solve the problem.

Maybe they're right.

Bill Effros