[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Peter about batter charging

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 7 13:00:45 EST 2006

Ed,

Yup -- I'm hip.   I first learned how quickly an unattended deep cycle can
go bad with my Starwind 19.  That type of stupid/expensive lesson is
hopefully well learned.

The product I use and like now is Battery Minder (about $50, cheaper than a
good deep cycle).  It puts a trickle charge and a desulphation signal into a
deep cycle at rest.  I haven't had a battery go bad since.

The plans for Raven's "substation" include a battery of two parallel group
31 wet cells and a 40 amp Xantrex Tru Charge three stage charger, with an
effective useful output of about 104 amp/hours.  The charger has a 21 day
top off feature to prevent the wet batteries from losing their charge to
dangerously low levels, but this of course requires a shore power hook up.

The Battery Minder company this year now offers a 5 watt solar cell powered
trickle charger combined with desulphation features for under a $100.  This
looks like it would be great for boats on moorings or dry sailed w/o power
nearby.

PT