[Rhodes22-list] Peter about battery charging

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 7 17:20:42 EST 2006

Ed,

It just depends on how you plan to use your boat.  The VDC solar products
look very good, but there is not a solar charger made that would fit on a
Rhodes 22 and be capable of recharging 104 amp/hours in less than 12 hours.

I want to have the capability to go on estuary excursions of several days,
spending the night on the hook two or three times in a row, and then come
into a marina to shower, dump p/p and recharge quickly for another 2-3
days -- all without running out of juice.  A 40 amp charger is the only
device I could find that would perform like that.  The Xantrex charts show
it could recharge in less than 6 hours.  A solar charger would take weeks.

VDC also makes a 5watt unit that was selling earlier for about $99 and
backordered everywhere.  These are good when you have lots of time away from
your boat.  They will keep the charge topped and desulphate too.  No wonder
they can't keep them on the shelves!

PT