[Rhodes22-list] Art - 2nd Boat - Renting?

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 8 22:13:46 EST 2006

Ed,

I keep a boat in dry storage, just break it out when I go to the coast.  It's an O'Day 222 which I tie up at Hilton Head (Palmetto Bay Marina, very highly recommended) or at Savannah (Sail Harbor, supposed to have a shower now).  Our first trip to SH a few years ago, the shower was the carport with tarps and a garden hose.

I am trying to learn more about the Brunswick area, very nice from the shore, especially the Cloister, which needed renovation like a hole in the head.  Golden Isles Marina is supposed to be excellent.

I have concluded that a one or two week live-aboard on the boat at a site like these can beat most other vacation spots with a big stick...   and at about 30 bucks a night.  I use a boom room on each, doubling the space for eat-sleep-shower routined nicely.  BTW have you seen the Coleman water heater rig?  It looks ideal for live aboard.  I will use one this season for the first time from inside a boom suspended shower stall.  I'll report the results on the list.  Has anyone used a portable water heater like the Coleman.

Having a portable waterfront lot seems alot more appealing to me than an expensive fixed site with maintenance and high overhead.  One variation on this theme is something we should try - pick a number of destination sites like Sarasota, and all trail our boats to a surprise Birthday Party for Luis, and enjoy sailing together as much as we enjoy our vigorous email dialogue.  Look at CFYC sometime.  They plan one trip a month out of their Orlando home base.

A joint trip to Edenton would be a hoooot.

Art