[Rhodes22-list] NASCAR

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 13 07:48:27 EST 2006

Slim & Rik,

I have lived in the South since 1972 and have never been a NASCAR fan but I
have attended a couple of races. Bristol TN has a short track so you can see
most of the race. You are packed in with 150,000 screaming fans. They have a
night race so the fans have all day to drink in the parking lot. We sat in
an area known as the "Chicken Bone" section. In the old days the fans would
eat fried chicken and thow bones at the drivers. The parling lot has areas
for camping and folks start showing up days in advance to get primed. NFL
and UT tailgating is pretty tame compared to the NASCAR crowd.

I wore ear plugs pretty much the whole race; conversation is impossible. We
were almost to close to the action. I went to a race in NC once and we sat
in a sky box. A little bit different atmosphere.

Rik, Atomic Speedway is right off I40 just west of Knoxville. It is a short
dirt track; just your style!

http://www.atomicmotorspeedway.com/

Wally