[Rhodes22-list] Bill's Mooring

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Mar 16 15:03:29 EST 2006

Sorry, Bud,

That was a bit misleading.  My boat is moored a half-mile from the shore
I can get to, but it's only 100 yards from private property.

Much of Long Island sound is quite shallow.  In my cove.  There is a 9
foot tidal variation.  At low tide my boat is in 3 feet of water.  At
high tide it's in 12 feet of water.  While I can see Manhattan from my
mooring, I am protected from the waves in 360°, and from the wind in
roughly 320°.  All of this makes much more sense if you look at the
Frappr Map.  The last time I looked I had placed my boat in
approximately the right place.

I use only the bow cleat.  I have a 300 pound mushroom anchor, very
heavy chain, and line that barely fits under the cleat.  The boat has
never been knocked down by either wind or waves.  I have managed to
"drag" that anchor (actually, I floated it) but that had nothing to do
with either wind or waves, directly.  It was a calm day.  Explained
elsewhere.

Bill Effros