[Rhodes22-list] Anchors

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Mar 26 12:47:14 EST 2006

Oh, man.....

(New York idiom, not sure how far it travels...)

Here we go again...

IMHO, Practical Sailor doesn't know what it's talking about in many
cases.  Anchoring is one.

These anchoring tests don't tell anyone what they need to know.

The Spade Anchor tested poorly at a 3:1 scope in the current test, and
costs almost $500.  Now they are saying they are not sure any anchor is
worth $500, and they are surprised it did poorly in this test, when it
was one of the top performers previously.

When I drop an anchor I want to know how well it will hold when I am
dropping it, not when PS tested it.  If their tests don't come out the
same way every time, then the test is not useful.  Spade Anchors, in all
sizes, cost proportionally more than the more commonly used anchors.  I
really don't need Practical Sailor to tell me that Spade anchors are
more expensive.

My beef with Practical Sailor is that their testing procedures are
Mickey Mouse.  They recommend one product one year, and then tell you
the same product doesn't work well the following year.  This pattern is
repeated in product category after product category.

Bill Effros