fenders and docklines Re: [Rhodes22-list] Fenders?

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Mon Mar 27 10:52:45 EST 2006

At 10:29 PM 3/25/2006 -0500, Dave (L) wrote:

>Mary Lou, Thanks, I serendipitously got a message from Elton to begin
>arranging for delivery.  I responded asking if he provided special
>fenders  with his
>delivery.  I had noted the fenders you use in the West Marine  catalog and
>they looked interesting, but I didn't know what a good size was  (looks to me
>like you're using the shortest length) and whether they rolled  sufficiently
>given their shape.  I gather they work well for you.

Dave ours are the long ones - 23-25" long 7" in diameter. I think you said
you hadn't looked at your slip yet. Take a look. We never use fenders in
most of the slips we've ever used - never in our home slip and rarely in
transient slips. You may not need them in a slip.

Most of the slips on the Chesapeake make extensive use of pilings as tie
off points. Ours for example has a very short finger pier, cleats on the
cross walk ahead of the bow and pilings at the end of the slip and pilings
mid-ships. We've been in slips where a 25' line was just barely long
enough. The best advice I can give you is to take a walk around the marina
looking at how people tie up there boats. It's particularly instructive to
look at how people with small boats tie up as the match up between boat and
slip is different and the number of cleats on the boat available for tieing
up is different. Good luck!

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Rock Hall, MD (Swan Creek)