[Rhodes22-list] Gas Tanks, Vents, and Carburetors

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Tue May 2 00:18:13 EDT 2006

Rummy,

I have to agree with Rik

Besides, in carburated engines, (non-super/turbocharged or fuel injected)
fuel doesn't vaporize, it is atomized.   There is a difference, and water
mixed in the fuel would be atomized as well.

Older piston aircraft engines in military fighters actually had water
injection systems to introduce water to "cool" the mixture.  This lowered
the cylinder head temps when the fuel mixture was leaned out during high
speed flight (usually after the ammo was exhausted before the enemies
were, and a hasty retreat was necessary). Water increased power by
suppressing detonation and back firing into the intake manifold as well
as slightly increasing the density of the charge.

Todd T.