[Rhodes22-list] Engines: 4 stroke vs 2 stroke.

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed May 3 15:46:10 EDT 2006

R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:

> Disclaimer: I am not trying to rekindle the fires from the last discussion
> on motors.
>
> I thought it was interesting that Evinrude has an ad campaign on TV
> advertising their new 2 strokes by bashing the 4 strokes saying they spend to  much
> time in the shop and not allowing the owners to spend time on the water. It
> really caught my attention.

I saw that.  They also claimed the the 2-strokes
were every bit as clean as the 4-strokes.

I'm still running my 1948 5 hp 2-stroke Johnson
Seahorse.  Fractured and replaced the down-tube in
the '50s -- backed into some rocks.  Replaced the
magneto coil in the 60's.  Needed a new impeller a
couple of years ago.  Needs plugs every few years.
A real maintenance headache...

The Sears 3.5 hp air-cooled 2-stroke is also working
just fine.

/Robert Skinner