[Rhodes22-list] Single vs Double Axle

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Mon May 8 19:04:31 EDT 2006

Rory,

I did not move the existing axle.  The new axle was added to the frame
behind the first.  I also had to get a new pair of fenders to accommodate
the new setup.  The old axle had no breaks so that was new too.  That also
meant adding the electronic break setup in the vehicle.  The guy at the shop
was nice enough to spend a long time with me discussing my options and
making careful plans.  We also fabricated a skid plate attached to the new
axle to prevent the centerboard from getting hooked on it if I were to
forget to cleat it in the up position.  That is, we land the boat with the
board down and let the trailer guides "catch" the board and center the boat
on the bunks.  But then when launching, you should have the board up so it
doesn't catch on anything going backwards.  The cost for the whole shebang
was about a grand.

Slim