[Rhodes22-list] WTF?

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Sat May 13 14:18:17 EDT 2006

Rummy, would it be more accurate to say "what this administration has done
is  <asked the telephone companies to do something> illegal" or am I missing
something in your post?  Maybe the Patriot Act has some provision which
supercedes any other law against telephone companies giving out our personal
information, calls, etc... (its o.k. to break the law when the president
decides that law is against protection of national security... I'm not
joking here... many instances of these)... but seems that would have come
out in the many expert analyses of this issue.... I listen to political
reporters and commentators every day and haven't heard this mentioned.

Not to say that this administration hasn't done anything illegal... lying
about the rationale for going to war would be one.... "outing" a CIA agent
would be another... more to come no doubt.  (oh, wait.. lying to the public
about both the rationale and the project cost for going to war <"nothing">
may not be illegal... just immoral... unlike lying to a grand jury about
whether or not one has sex with someone)... yearning for the "good old days"
when the news was totally consumed by self-righteous "moral" leaders (read
"adulterers" and "crooks") slamming Clinton for getting a thrill in his
office... when pension plans were intact... and when my health insurance was
"only" $200 a month instead of $400...and gas was under $2/gallon... and the
national debt was zero... and we hadn't lost 2500 of our military in an
absurd war... and when we didn't have another 17,000 badly injured... and
when we had a president who could pronounce "nuclear"... and... and...

BTW... if anyone followed that "what to do if attacked" link to the White
House web site... note that you can have the pleasure of reading it all in
Spanish if desired... don't get me started on the illegal immigration
issue... its no wonder that so many want to come here from Mexico... I heard
last week that a foreigner who owned a restaurant in Mexico was recently
deported within 5 days for wiping the tables in his own restaurant... seems
that he didn't have a work permit to wipe tables... only a permit to own the
restaurant... no lawyer... no hearing... hauled off to jail then released
for 3 days to pack his bags and get out of the country... just like that...
do you think we might be a little "soft" on the illegal immigration issue?
I like the fact that this country is made up of immigrants... it adds color
and spice... but I DON'T like the fact that we allow so many to slip in the
back door while others, equally deserving, are made to go through hoops and
often not allowed to come at all... ever... and I don't like the fact that
our tax dollars are supporting many, many services for folks that shouldn't
be here in the first place... If the White House docs are in Spanish, why
not Japanese, Chinese, Polish, German, Vietnamese, Russian, Italian, etc.
etc.  We are NOT yet a bilingual country in spite of impressions to the
contrary!

Saroj