[Rhodes22-list] WTF?

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Sun May 14 00:18:42 EDT 2006

Saroj,

I have to make a few comments on your post.  First, the rise in gas prices
is not restricted to the US and is not the fault of Bush.  In Europe, gas is
now over $7 dollars a gallon (it was in the 4+ range) so they are suffering
more than us.  I don't know how old you are, but I can't remember a time
when the national debt was zero.  That being said it has increased
significantly since Bush ahas been in office.  Also, a point of technicality
which probably no one cares about, if bush discloses classified info, he is
not doing it illegally, as he has the ultimate authority to decide what is,
or is not, classified, See EO 12958.

If you did some research, you would find that the casualty rate for this
"war" is much lower than any we have ever fought.  While I do not
necessarily disagree with Bush's reasons for going into Iraq, I do feel that
he and his advisers woefully miscalculated the what would happen after
Hussein was removed.  Many say that we shouldn't have gone into Iraq because
we the reasons we went in turned out to be invalid (WMD, etc.).  However, at
the time Bush made the decision, we thought that Iraq did have WMD.  IF
you'll remember, the UN requested many times for Hussein to show that he did
not have them and Hussein stonewalled at every opportunity.  Remember, you
have to evaluate a decision based upon the information known at the
time, not the information that is discovered later.  I have never met anyone
who is prescient, and I don't suspect that Bush and his staff are either.

So what if Bush can or cannot pronounce nuclear, it that a fairly petty
thing whit which to find fault? I used to work at the Embassy in Mexico and
our Ambassador, Ex-Congressman Jim Jones (D-OK), couldn't even read a
sentence written in Spanish, must less speak the language and He was a
Clinton appointee.  Oratorical skills do not relate to intelligence or
leadership. We have all had good leaders who were not good speakers and vice
versa.

I have lived extensively in Mexico and still go there a lot and your story
about the foreigner with the restaurant raises my suspicion.  I suspect that
there are other details to the story of which we are not aware.  If you know
it, I would like to know the source of the story.

All this being said, I am not extremely pleased at how everything has been
handled by the current gov't, however, I don't see anyone who is likely to
step up in '08 who can do a better job, which I find very frightening.  I'm
afraid that the political process has driven all the good men (or women)
away.

Hank