[Rhodes22-list] Thank goodness for 9 stays

sloopblueheron at isp.com sloopblueheron at isp.com
Sun May 14 16:59:13 EDT 2006

And thank Stan.

During my seasonal shakedown cruise yesterday, I was about a mile out when
the forestay fast pin came out.  Only the furling line kept the drum
approximately in the bow pulpit area.

The 175 genoa flailed violently in 10 - 15 knot winds and it kept spinning
the boat until I cut away the sheets.  Fortunately, the starboard lower
shroud kept the mast from falling backward as I motored south toward shore
in a west wind.  Yet I was constantly calculating where the mast would
fall into the cockpit if the stay didn't hold.  As the out shroud
spreaders pulled out, that calculation became even more unnerving.

Except for the forestay, all my shrouds are attached to the chain plates
with cotter ring locked clevis pins.  After having a cotter ring snared
and pulled out by a sheet, I tape all my clevis pins (corrosion be
damned).  Now, I'll also be taping the forestay fast pin, too.

BTW, does anyone know how long the 175 genoa sheets should be?

Rick