[Rhodes22-list] Rich's Quick Release Adventure

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon May 15 23:26:23 EDT 2006

Rick,

As you can see, they are worth good money.  If you are truly going to
get rid of them, I'd be glad to have them.  (Today is scavenger day on
the Internet.)

The only downside is that they are made only in metric sizes.  If you
put them into fittings machined to US standards they can slip through.
To prevent this, you get metric sized washers and place them on the ball
detent side of the pin.  They will not slip through unless you press the
button on the other side, allowing the balls to drop into the detents.

Round cotter pins can jiggle free.  Straight cotter pins can shear.
Both of these things have happened to me.  I've never had a failure with
a Fastpin threaded through a properly sized hole or washer.

Bill Effros