[Rhodes22-list] Alternative Energy

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 08:19:09 EDT 2006

Hank,

The diesel wouldn't necessairly respond directly in
real time to the drive train demand.  It could run at
a constant speed to charge the drive batteries and
spool-up only when a heavy current demand was
required, ie., during acceleration.  WW2 submarines
were diesel/electric hybrids.  So are locomotives and
cruise ships. FedEx teamed with Eaton to build diesel
hybrid delivery trucks.  I haven't read the test
results yet.  My personal plan is to drive our current
crop of cars/trucks until the wheels fall off and
hopefully by then, some 50+ mpg stuff will be
available.  Now, our new dump truck with its 450 hp
Mercedes diesel engine, that's another story.  $300
per fill-up. Ouch!

Brad

http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/assets/newsletter/

> [...]
> > India, world oil demand is rising rapidly at the
> same
> > time production capacity is falling.  The history
> of
> > oil prices has been one of a fairly stable trend
> line
> > with wild but short lived swings away from the
> mean.
> > If Hubbert's Peak prediction holds true, we may
> see a
> > shift away from the fundamental futures forcasting
> > models and a substantial rise in the baseline
> price
> > range for crude oil.  This should give pause to
> > airline executives and further encourage them to
> adopt
> > hedging operations to smooth fuel cost
> fluctuations
> > and earnings swings.  A majority of oil industry
> > analysts believe that there is a fundamental
> paradigm
> > shift in oil price trends.  Where in the past,
> > volatility was due primarily to geo-politics;
> future
> > price swings will be more a function of geology.
> This
> > new paradigm can be seen by looking at the reserve
> > life index (RLI) of global oil reserves, a
> > simple-to-calculate metric: total reserves divided
> by
> > total production.  Simply put, the higher the RLI,
> the
> > greater the oil market's long-term growth
> potential.
> > The current situation does not look encouraging.
> In
> > the past 30 years, RLI has dropped from 119 years
> in
> > 1970 to 47 years in 2004.  This trend is not
> reversing
> > but in fact seems to be accelerating with some
> > estimates that RLI will only be 20 years by 2020.
> > This has a very ominous meaning for airline
> > executives.  Where in the past oil prices have
> been
> > determined by short-term political and economic
> > factors, future prices will be a result of market
> > recognition of the structural imbalance between
> demand
> > and supply.  Detractors from this theory will
> point to
> > "un-discovered" oil fields as the weakness in the
> > Hubbert's Peak argument but the oil industry's
> > reluctance to substantially increase discovery
> efforts
> > during a period of high oil prices should give
> little
> > comfort.  Most of the large and medium sized oil
> > companies have chosen growth through merger and
> > acquisition rather than the drill bit.
> >
> > The rising world demand for crude oil with a flat
> or
> > declining supply of the raw product will have
> serious
> > impacts across a broad spectrum of industries but
> > perhaps none more so than airlines.  While many
> > industries can switch to other sources of energy

=== message truncated ===