[Rhodes22-list] alternative energy & a rant...

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Thu May 18 18:03:38 EDT 2006

Hey All,
I just can't take it any more, so here goes:

French Fry oil was being "burned" in a car which I took to mean that the car
burns oil so is on its last legs...  Still think Mobil 1 would be a whole
lot more efficient than French (Freedom) Fry Oil...  I'm in Lyon, France as
I write this and as I read what is being said on this list recently and in
the media always I am beginning to think I am living in the future for the
U.S. by being in France.  Guess what folks, the future sucks!

The U.S. is still the envy of the world and it is NOT because we (1) refuse
to defend ourselves because it might offend a particular ethnic or religious
group (like, say the Muslims - the religion of peace), or the fact that the
NSA has the gall to listen in on phone conversations to proactively protect
our country.  I think Bush should be impeached if he did NOT authorize such
activities-isn't that what Commander-in-Chief is all about (although I grant
you that Geena Davis would not do that on the TV show...)  BTW, you don't
think that TV show has anything to do with the media promotion of Hillary,
do you?  Nah, probably just a coincidence... (2) all this consternation over
oil/gas prices, alternative energy and the impending doom.  Do we know why
oil/gas prices are so high?  I have tried to find this out from the media
and it is not being reported on TV (even O'Reilly is avoiding it) - you
would have to read it, but not in newspapers.  Here it is: EW's - that is my
abbreviation for Environmentalist Wackos.  It really is pretty simple,
folks.  The U.S. has a refining capacity problem because we have not built a
new refinery in 20 years.  Why? Because it is cost prohibitive. Why? Because
environmental permitting, compliance and potential remediation costs are out
of control.  Our domestic oil & gas production is a fraction of what it
should be because the largest domestic reserves are off-limits to drilling,
ie: Alaska (where the Alaskans have been trying for 20 years to get drilling
approved, but the California liberals are not letting it happen, presumably
because some of them might one day in their lives visit Alaska and would not
want to see an oil well) and the Outer Continental Shelf which is off the
Atlantic Coast and off the Gulf Coast of Florida which is off limits for
drilling (have you heard that Cuba and Trinidad are the next new sources of
oil, it's true).  Why off limits you ask?  Because it would litter our
coastline (albeit 200 miles offshore!)  with rigs, and that would be
asthetically unpleasant (as unpleasant as $3 gas?)  Nevermind that there is
some great new technology being developed off the coast of West Africa
(Chad) that will enable offshore production without stationary rigs - it is
amazing and the reserves are huge and will begin production next year.  On
top of all this, we have discontinued nuclear power projects because they
are potentially harmful to the environment and generally unsafe (according
to some who do not consider facts important), we have stopped using coal to
generate power because it might contribute to this global warming fantasy,
thereby forcing all power generation to natural gas, which we have
restricted!!!  So, Natural gas went from $3/MBTU to $14/MBTU and has now
dropped and stabilized at $7/MBTU which is more than half the previous
levels, and consumers can't believe their heating bills.  Why so high?
Demand is strong and supplies have been limited by the aformentioned
environmental insanity.  Get it?  Natural Gas (NG) cannot be shipped from
elsewhere cost effectively (granted, there is LNG that can be shipped, but
the cost will be $6+ and supplies are limited).

Let's review where we are, shall we?  We can't use nuclear or coal as power
sources because of the EW's, which leaves only NG.  We can't develop
domestic NG resources because of the EW's.  Gasoline?  We can't build new
refineries and we can't develop our substantial domestic reserves because of
the EW's.  So, let's talk about fictitious new sources of energy and how we
should walk to work, drive smaller cars, raise gas taxes (a favorite
solution that has worked so well in Europe...) and how evil the oil
companies are...

There was recently a $4B (yes, that's billions) investment in a new
petrochemical complex by Exxon that was commited for the Middle East (I
think Oman).  The CEO said there was one (1) reason it was being made in the
Middle East instead of TEXAS:  the high cost of natural gas @ $7/MBTU.  We
are no longer competitive and it is our own fault.  We have lost so many
high paying jobs because of this insanity.  I think we are heading toward an
economy of Wal-Marts, chiropractors and lawyers.  They don't pollute, right?
  They only pollute our standard of living...

I have been in the chemical industry for 25 years (not the oil industry) and
I study this stuff regularly and intently.  I have tried to find it reported
on all the TV specials promising to tell us why "gas prices are so high,"
but they never mention any of this stuff.  Don't you wonder why?  Maybe
because liberals are never ones to let facts interfere with their opinions
or positions.

While the EW's are the cause of our problems, it is Congress that is the
heart of the problems because all the EW's can do is lobby - it is our
Congress that is doing nothing.  It makes me puke when Congress wants to
have hearings about high oil prices and the greedy oil companies price
gouging, yet it is their refusal to act on the many bills to open drilling
in ANWR and OCS that is digging our graves for the future: our standard of
living will suffer (speaking from France where gas is $6/gallon - what an
example!).

So, the only conclusion I can come to on all this is (1) It's George Bush's
fault, (2) it's those evil, greedy oil companies, and (3) don't confuse me
with the facts.

Good Night and Good Luck.

To those of you still reading - thanks - I feel better now............

Bonsoir,

Bob K
Yankee Clipper (soon to be converted to fuel cell technology)