[Rhodes22-list] Anyone have a 25 Ton Masters certification?

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu May 18 22:34:42 EDT 2006

Robert,

I suspect I may be the "target" of that rumor. I've put off answering for a bit because 1) I thought it MIGHT be someone else and 2) I'm in the process of a boat delivery from Florida to Texas (we had some motor/cooler problems, and pulled in for a day at Mobile, so I have internet access).

I AM on the list and am a boat captain (25 ton masters), but I don't own a Rhodes. I signed up for the list because my brother has a Rhodes 22 and I wanted information from him. I stayed on because 1) I like some of the people ... ok, all the people, but some more than others 2) I get tons of information that's useful both to me and my brother (even for my O'Day) and 3) there's another rumor that you're never allowed off the list.

That said, here's my captain's class story.

First of all, you are not required to take ANY classes, only the tests. The classes helped me a ton though. You are required to document 360 days boating experience, and pass a battery of tests. If you take a USCG authorized course, you can take tests administered by the training facility, and they are shorter tests. The score required is the same, but the tests are shorter. I think one example given was one of the test I took was 30 questions, and at the USCG center would have been 150. I STILL had to make the same score though.

I believe, I paid around $500 for the OUPV (Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels, commonly called a 6-pack), and about $250 more for my masters, then $50 each for a sailing endorsement and towing endorsement. I feel they were all money well spent.

As to how useful they are when "sailing small", they were very useful as far as learning the rules of the road and some general sailing information.

However, please understand, the classes are classes to help you pass the USCG test. The USCG test is NOT a performance test. There is no portion of testing that is performance related. It's really a certification that enables you to captain vessels that take paying passengers.

Personally, I would do it again, but then, my long term goal is to do captained charters and boat deliveries for a "semi-retirement" phase of my life.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> robert at squirrelhaven.com 5/10/2006 4:44:20 pm >>>
There's a rumor that at least one R22 owner on the list
has a 25 Ton Masters.

Would you tell me (and perhaps the list) about your
experiences getting the 25 ton masters certification?
I wonder how long it took, what courses were required,
what were a good idea, how much it cost, etc.

And - would you do it again?

Might also be good to know how useful it is when sailing
small...

Many thanks for whatever light you can shed,
--
Robert Skinner