[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 22 11:23:02 EDT 2006

Bob:
    Thanks again for all your help.  I"ve contacted Stan and we're working on a boat for me.
  Rex

Bob Weber <ruba1811 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Rex, good questions - here goes

My only
concern was running with the main because the inner shrouds will not permit
you
to really let the main out fully.
Yes it gets out about 80 degrees before contacting the shroud. I have found
this to be the case on other keel boats. The boat does not sail well
straight down wind unless you are winged - but I don't like running anyway
and will almost always opt for two broad reaches over running. The boom
angle for broad reaching is not bad.

So long as your using the genoa, it appears
the main isn't really going to be driving the boat anyway.
You are a quick learner.

I forgot to ask the location of the battery.
It is under the V-bearth - the two battery set up has a second battery under
the port settee.

The other question I wanted to ask but
forgot until we were on our way back, the pop-top creates one more potential
opening to the cabin that might make it more vulnerable to the
weather----does
it seal itself pretty well when the boat is unattended and locked up?
I was getting some slight water incursions right by the door and made cover
for the doghouse which solved the problem. I need to reseat a port light -
I don't think it is a design flaw I must have just done a bad job when I did
it last year.

What %
genoa is yours?
155 - I think it is the perfect combination - recommend it over the 175 or
less sail (unless you are in a real windy area) If you get a choice - I
think there are better head sails than the doyel. It is heavy and looses
shape off the wind. That would be an upgrade I would consider if I were to
do it again.

Did you get other foresails --- if so which and would you do it
the same way?
If I replace the furler I will get one where i can change headsails without
dropping the mast. A light 175 or a strom sail would be nice to have.