[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Meal Simplicity and Planning

Julie Thorndycraft julie at circle7.net
Sat May 27 15:15:12 EDT 2006

Art,
We found a cooler bag that was the perfect size to fit under the seats at
REI in the camping section. It was extremely heavy duty but it worked well
for beverages and because it was right in the cockpit, it kept people out of
the icebox. It was about the exact size of the Rubbermaid containers that
everyone buys to slide under the seats.

We always have REI dried meals on board when we travelled with our boat -
they were the emergency rations. The ones that we did try were ok - I recall
the desserts were pretty good but then sweets, when you're boat camping,
always taste good.

For breakfasts, we live on yogurt with granola mixed in. We also hard-boil a
bunch of eggs and munch on those for breakfast as well. We have a camp
toaster that we use to toast bread or bagels on the single-burner unit in
the cabin. We also use the instant oatmeal packets when it's cold outside.
For lunch, we pack the tuna pouches - they work great on sandwiches or
salads and some are also seasoned. You can also get cooked chicken and
salmon in those same pouches now at the grocery store. They don't take up
much space and they flatten out and take virtually no space when you're done
with them.

Dinners meant firing up the propane grill on the back. We eat pretty well on
our trips and the galley is fully stocked with all the herbs and seasonings
that anyone could desire for putting together a meal. Couscous or the Noodle
packets work really well as side dishes.

As to keeping things cool, for day trips we would re-use water bottles and
freeze them. If you're desperate, you can drink the water but it doesn't
taste quite as good after being frozen. For longer trips we would buy block
ice and break it up into air tight containers that would fit into the
icebox - our icebox never drained very well and this was neater and easier
to clean out.

Julie
former owner of Blue Loon