[Rhodes22-list] Hunting Solution?/Boom Room/Shared ownership

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Sat May 27 20:27:57 EDT 2006

Art,
        I think that the kind of trips you might take would dictate what you
would want as far as a solar panel goes. I have for many years used a 45
watt unit, down in the Bahamas for many months and the very same unit
attached to my son's boat in Greece/Turkey for many months at a time. It was
made by Simens and is the amorphas crystal type as I recall.  We never had
any problem with electricty, never in all that time did we ever hve to use
an outside electrical source.  No electrical fridge but a pretty powerfull
sound system, and an electric start outboard or disel engine.  I currently
have a GE 55 watt only because I had to have one on short notice and it was
the only one I could get.  Every where I've used them it was very sunny so
if you are up north and have cloudy days the larger one might be better.
Again, I don't set it up for day to day sailing it just isn't necessary, but
if I were to be out for several days I would.

You are right about the Boom Room, it is an esential.  We used Ripstop nylon
because it was light weight but after sewing up the panels  I came across an
article about UV resistance and reflectivity and the the damn stuff is
almost transparent to UV, it provided only some thermal relief.

I like the Kit Idea as it is esentially flat panels and if the top already
comes with the zippers installed it would be simple to sew the panels up and
save some money.  Good Idea.

Chris