[Rhodes22-list] Computer Problems

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 07:00:43 EDT 2006

Anyone had this problem?  Over a year or so ago,
during a spirited debate with Bill, my 'rhodie'
computer started seriously slowing down and finally
hard crashed (I know it was Bill).  A trip to the IBM
service center fixed the problem with a new hard drive
under warranty.  I had to pay for a new load of the
operating system, windows xp, out of  pocket.
Everything has worked fine since, until yesterday.
Mr. Gates started sending me a message that my copy of
windows is not geniune and he and Melissa need more
money. The system won't boot until I acknowledge the
lovely Gate's family financial needs. And, they've cut
me out of the will, first with further updates, and
probably a Gulfstream as well. I've already turned off
automatic updates and rebooted to no avail.  Short of
the usual "buy a Mac" comments, has anyone ever
experienced this and how did you fix it?  Obviously I
could return to the vendor but I don't want to lose
everything I've accumulated.

Brad