[Rhodes22-list] Computer Problems

3drecon at comcast.net 3drecon at comcast.net
Tue May 30 16:09:18 EDT 2006

     I had a similar problem a few months ago with my laptop.  First it would reboot for no apparent reason and some programs didn't work right.  Then when it started it would give me an error sound.  Finally it would do nothing but reboot and reboot.  I had to get a new hard drive from the manufacturer (Gateway).  Fortunately I was still under warrantee and I had the restore disk with Windows on it.  Unfortunately I lost a lot of files I was planning to back-up "later".
     I believe I became infected with a worm.  I have since read there is one out there that causes this problem.  I don't know what to tell you about restoring your system unless you have a restoration disk.  If you can get the thing working, go to Accessories, System Tools, and System Restore and try restoring to a time prior to your problem.  Once you get the system working, be sure to have the most updated anti-virus (your choice, any recommendations will occupy the list for a week of differing opinions), firewall (see previous comment about recommendations or use Windows Firewall) and download Windows Defender anti-spyware program (free).  It is the successor to Windows Anti-Spyware program (beta).  This is also a beta version but for now, the price is right.
     I hope this helps.

Philip

From: brad haslett <flybrad at yahoo.com>