[Rhodes22-list] Tuning our boat and Backing into slip

David Meacham dmeacham at dmv.com
Wed May 31 12:56:12 EDT 2006

We have two questions, if anyone could help us with these issues.

1.)  We want to tune our boat to have a little "weather" helm rather than "lee" helm.  The standard method for correction is to lengthen  the forestay.  Currently our IMF mast is standing off a true right angle, with a smaller angle aft.  I am hesitant to lengthen the forestay, in fear of putting extra strain on the IMF bearings with a mast that is not perpendicular.  Please advise us on a solution.

2.)  Does anyone have any tips on backing into a slip?  We have a 4-stroke, 5-horse Mercury engine.  Backing into our slip would give us easier access to our cockpit, rather than walking across the bow.  I would want to continue the practice of keeping the rudder up when not in use.  Does the best backing method include rudder and centerboard up and relying solely on the outboard motor alone?

Awaiting responses from the Rhodes list.        Thank you,

David Meacham
dmeacham at dmv.com