[Rhodes22-list] Know the Enemy

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 10:31:25 EST 2006

Philip,

Thanks for the video.  I'm about halfway through the book "The Looming
Towers", which is what the recent TV documentary that upset the Clintonites
so much was based on.  Most of the book is about the rise of al Qaeda and
the jihadists.  I'm convinced by everything I've read from various sources
this will be a long difficult struggle.  Iraq is frustrating because we are
fighting so many different entities there.  Yeah, it has a patina of a
Shiite v Suni civil war, but what goes seldom mentioned is the outside
players; Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, and others that provide men and
arms to the Iraqi insurgents. There's plenty to criticise about the conduct
of the battle for Iraq, but I firmly believe it is but one front in a much
larger war.  If we don't have the stomach to continue the fight there, the
fight will come to us on our soil.  Just ask Osama. Frankly, al Qaeda is
much better at PR than we are.  They must be laughing their asses off at how
the Muslim Brotherhood has stirred Somali cab drivers into action in the
Midwest while we discuss color codes.

Brad