[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Bob and his squirrels

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Nov 4 03:15:20 EST 2006

Bob:

Your conclusion of 'False' is not accurate.  A synonym of gimmick is any
clever deceptive maneuver, dirty trick or temporary expedient.  Journalists
in today’s national media often repeat conclusions as fact wherein such
conclusions in them selves are spurious and deceptive.

The term gimmick was not used inclusively and limiting other uses.   Rather
as descriptive of repeating falsehoods as universally accepted fact.

When such devices are used by a member of the national media it is demeaning
to accurate news reporting.  I agree with your statement, “It's a
universally misused rhetorical trick, as much exploited by the right wing as
any other faction.”

However it is used and by whomever it is used does preclude questioning its
use.  Doing something wrong because others do it was Richard Nixon’s
argument as to why he permitted the break in at Watergate.  I do not accept
your acceptance of letting Bill get away with sleight of word because it is
universally done.

Surely you above all members of this list are able to recognize his artful
use of phrases?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:
“I became worried when my dead-reckoning put me on top of a hill a hundred
feet high and there was no land in sight!  E. A. Pye (author of The Sea is
for Sailing)

Robert replies:

False.

It's a universally misused rhetorical trick, as much exploited by the right
wing as any other faction.

It is not valid, wherever it is used.

Bob,

Your conclusion of 'False' is not accurate.  A symnonym of