[Rhodes22-list] National Debt

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 05:11:57 EST 2006

Slim,

We're on the same sheet of music.  However, we probably have different
solutions in mind.  Balancing a budget is simple, you either raise revenue
or cut spending, or both.  If you get too aggressive with raising revenue
(taxes) you choke the economy.  If you get too aggressive cutting spending,
you eliminate useful and necessary programs.  I'd like to dwarf the size of
the federal government by using the same methods we use for aircraft takeoff
performance; measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease-pencil, and
cut it with an axe.

Rummys post was correct.  So was Herb's for perspective.  If the new
Congress is serious about cutting pork barrel spending, earmarks,
entitlement programs, etc., that the GOP got carried away with, super!  I
personally am not holding my breath on that but if it happens I'll be
delighted.

BTW, we had a musician in the Congress.  From what I remember he was OK, he
just couldn't snow -ski very well.

Off to work, see ya.

Brad