[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Tax or Borrow?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Nov 11 14:13:57 EST 2006

Brad,

I missed the part about WHY you have to look at average debt as a
percentage of GNP, and just exactly what the answer means.

FDR not only faced a rather large war, but also a rather large
depression, and an unemployment rate around 25%.

When you throw war spending into depression earning you obviously create
an abnormally high ratio.  When you then throw this huge anomaly into an
average you deliberately skew the average.

If you look at budgets after FDR's term, you get a much different
picture, one of Democrats taxing to reduce deficits, and Republicans
borrowing to finance social aims.

So that's where we are now.  Reducing programs won't work.  Nobody is
going to dismantle Social Security, or reduce Medicare benefits.  We're
going to have to replace all the equipment that got blown up and used up
in Iraq--it's going to cost a lot of money, and there is no way around
it--ending the war won't produce the money to pay off the debt.

What's left?  Borrowing or Taxing.

Which will you pick?

Bill Effros

PS -- Just taxing the rich won't work, either.  Everyone is going to
have to pay for the fiscal fiasco of the past 6 years.