[Rhodes22-list] Taxes.

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 20:44:57 EST 2006

Bill,

Arkansas can put Tennessee away without my help at this point.  Let's solve
this tax issue.  First, we need to look at some charts and numbers.

http://www.house.gov/jec/publications/109/rr109-36.pdf

The chart on page 2 gives the best view.  The top 1% of taxpayers pay 34% of
all income taxes.  These *are* wealthy people. The top 5% pay over 54% of
all taxes.  The group of 2% to 5% is you and me (we worked hard, made some
dough, but don't consider ourselves wealthy.  The top 10% pay over 83% of
all taxes.  Let's repeat that:  THE TOP 10% OF TAXPAYERS PAY OVER 83%. The
top 50% pay almost 97%.

The bottom 50% pay less than 4%.  THE BOTTOM HALF OF ALL TAXPAYERS PAY LESS
THAN 4%.

So, when some politician says, "we need to raise taxes on the rich", he/she
can be sure that half the population will say, "damn right", since they pay
so little of the bill anyway.  When another politician says, "the tax cuts
only benefit the rich", they are partially correct.  That's who pays the
taxes.

This data comes from the IRS database and isn't based on any political
parties bias.  When the battle cry goes up for "TAX THE RICH", and it will,
this data won't change.  Half the country (voters) contribute very little
anyway so they won't give a shit or bother doing any homework.

Why should they?

Brad