[Rhodes22-list] Tax Advice?

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 04:35:42 EST 2006

Slim,

You cannot avoid taxes, you can only defer them.  For a sole proprietor with
no employees, an S corporation isn't worth the hassle.  Depending on how
expensive it is to set up in Minnesota, a Limited Liability Corporation,
(LLC) may offer you a few tax advantages, but not many for the extra expense
and hassle.  Whether S or LLC, all income and expense flow through you and
you are already eligible for the same expenses, ie, car, telephone,
computer, musical equipment, etc.  Either one would give you
*some*protection from liability, but you are the only employee you
have to worry
about throwing a beer bottle at a customer or running someone off the road,
and you probably already have insurance for that.  "Piercing the Corporate
Veil" is pretty easy to do with a company of one. Health insurance is damned
expensive for individuals and small companies.  When you find a solution,
let me know, I'm looking myself.

You're doing the right thing with your retirement accounts, just don't
forget, you're nearing the big five-O and the funding limits increase for
most retirement accounts.  What pleasure!

In case you get fed-up with paying taxes, do what a former co-worker of mine
did.  Google Vernie Kuglin.  Vernie and I were new hires together but she
retired recently.  She beat a criminal charge of not paying taxes (it is
easy to find 12 peers who hate the IRS) but nobody beats a civil case for
not paying taxes, nobody. I don't think her fifteen minutes of fame was
worth it.  Remember how Al Capone got busted.  The IRS got him for tax
evasion and threw him in jail in Memphis.

When I worked part-time for a CPA firm the motto at tax time was "nobody
goes to jail for taking a deduction, only for not declaring income."  Play
hardball with the IRS but pay your taxes!

Brad