[Rhodes22-list] Taxes.

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 09:34:12 EST 2006

Yes the IRS are devils!

Once Upon a time, I received stock OPTIONS (not actual stock) from a company after working there 10 years.  The IRS said the options had a value, and wanted their "fair share" (a.k.a. AMT).  This was a good chuck of money, and after 10 years of unpaid OT on many many weekend, I thought I had my nest egg at long last.  I was forced to 1) buy the options, and then 2) sell a bunch to get enough money to pay the tax on something I didn't actually own yet.  I thought when I sold the stock I'd have a capital gain, and would pay the taxes then - like at retirement :-)   BTW the AMT is based upon the stock price at IPO, if the actual price of the stock goes down before you buy and then sell, well that is just tough luck according to the IRS.  So you can get company stock options @ $5.00  it goes to $20.00 on the day of the IPO, and by law can't sell most of for at least 90 days.  IF the price after 90 days is down to $8.00 you can pay to buy/sell and tax then it's worth. On the bright side, the IRS will set you up with easy payment terms.

These little companies do the stock option thingy because they don't have pension plans, but if you had to give your entire pension value to uncle Sam more than once, I'd

BTW, after doing this routine at 4 companies, 1 did have a positive effect, which I quickly sent to my daughter;s college for her first semester.   Not a total loss for working so long without a pension plan.  Next lifetime I'll know better, and get a job as the receiver of the taxes :-)

HADZ (a.k.a. joe)