[Rhodes22-list] Tax Advice? 401k's

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 12 21:44:42 EST 2006

Slim,

These things keep moving around, but it pays to watch them.

Here would be an example from a couple of years ago:

Borrow $100,000 at 0% interest.  (Harder now, but not impossible.)  Buy
low yielding Municipal bonds at a discount.  (You get $110,000 worth of
bonds for $100,000.)  The bonds pay tax free $3,300 a year.  You hold
them for between 5 and 10 years, until maturity.  At that point they are
redeemed by the municipality for $110,000.

Looking at the 10 year model for mathematical simplicity, you make
$33,000 tax free, and $10,000 taxable--a $43,000 profit on money that
was never taxed in the first place.  To make the whole thing tax free,
you also buy some high yielding municipal bonds: $90,000 worth for
$100,000.  These pay 10% interest for the last year before maturity.
You get another $9,000 tax free, but write off $10,000 taxable income
from the original bonds.

If you can work it all out, you make $42,000 tax free on both ends--this
is probably more than $43,000 profit, pay tax on $10,000.

This is an example only.  There are kinks.  You are not allowed to
borrow tax free money and invest it in triple tax free bonds.  So you
borrow the money to pay for your new house, and use the money put aside
for the new house to buy the bonds.  This is where it pays not to be all
tied up by government pension rules.

It's work, but it's legal.  No tax on either end.  If you're smart, you
keep reinvesting the dividends in more and more municipal bonds,
arranging the purchases so that all of the taxable gains are offset by
taxable losses.

You can get into this game for $10,000 plus a brokerage fee.  You must
minimize purchases and eliminate sales so that the broker eats the least
out of your profits.  Pick prosperous cities where there is virtually no
fear of default.  Bail out if any city starts to wobble.  Pick revenue
backed bonds (toll roads, bridges, etc. for even more safety) as opposed
to general obligation bonds.

This example is extremely low risk, simple once you get the hang of it,
and can be employed by people with modest means provided only that they
have good credit ratings.  Actually using your credit responsibly will
improve your credit rating over time as opposed to having a good rating
and not using it.

There are 100s of legal devices like this one, but you must find one
that works for you, and your investment money must be in a place where
it is legal for you to invest it in ways like this.

Bill Effros