[Rhodes22-list] Politics: History Lessons

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Nov 13 17:01:57 EST 2006

Bill, your history is off. Would you like citations about Lincoln's expectations of the war? I've done a LOT of study in this area.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> bill at effros.com 11/13/2006 12:24:04 pm >>>
Lincoln took 91% of the electoral vote in the 1864 Presidential
election.  This was accomplished simply by not allowing the South to
vote.  (Not a single vote was ever cast for Lincoln by anyone in most of
the States whose citizens now refer to themselves as "The Party of
Lincoln".)

Most Presidents regarded as "Bad" during their time of office, are still
regarded as "Bad" today.

Many of the people sympathetic to the Southern States position still
regard Lincoln as a "Bad" president.

The same can be said of FDR.

Lincoln did not start the war with the Southern states based on the
assumption that it would only last for a few weeks--the South both
seceded and fired first.  Lincoln fought to maintain the United
States--this is the platform on which he was elected.  It was the
anti-slavery liberal platform of the Northeastern and Western states.

In his time "Winning the War" meant holding the country together as far
as Lincoln was concerned.

What does "Winning the War" mean in Iraq?

Bill Effros