[Rhodes22-list] Ex-Presidents

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:21:39 EST 2006

Today was a busy day dealing with the forgotten Gulf Coast.  We're not in
NOLA but we root for them as well.  Here is a good sign of progress for New
Orleans.  Brad

 [image: International Herald Tribune] <http://www.iht.com/>
Ex-presidents Bush, Clinton keep them laughing at New Orleans convention

The Associated Press
  [image: Click
here...]<http://ad.fr.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/349d/3/0/%2a/o%3B20438114%3B0-0%3B0%3B7973099%3B4252-336/280%3B12112136/12130032/1%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com/products/timesselect/iht/overview.html?excamp=ts:iht_more>[image:
Click here...]<http://ad.fr.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/349d/3/0/%2a/o%3B20438114%3B0-0%3B0%3B7973099%3B4252-336/280%3B12112136/12130032/1%3B%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com/products/timesselect/iht/overview.html?excamp=ts:iht_more><http://ad.fr.doubleclick.net/jump/americas.iht.com;cat=index;sz=336x280;ord=123456789?>

They came on like rock stars — arms aloft, music pounding, lights flashing,
the crowd standing and going wild. Former presidents Bill Clinton and George
H.W. Bush, former political rivals who have forged a friendship, have their
act down pat and audiences eating it up.

The pair addressed the 25,000-plus people attending the National Association
of Realtors convention in New Orleans Saturday night, drawing at least six
standing ovations and almost continuous applause.

The convention is a milestone for New Orleans because it is the largest to
come to the city since last year's Hurricane Katrina. The former presidents
have raised $130 million (€101 million) in aid for hurricane recovery.

Bush, 82, told the crowd that retirement has been good, but he acknowledged
missing some of the perks of the presidency, saying he even missed the large
groups of demonstrators he once had to deal with.

He recalled a demonstration that was on hand for his arrival in San
Francisco, describing it as big, and led by the "ugliest woman I've ever
seen in my life."

The woman approached his limousine with a sign and shouted 'stay out of my
womb,"

"I thought 'Lady, there's absolutely no problem," Bush said.

Clinton bemoaned that his punishment for beating Bush in 1992 elections was
that he was "condemned for the rest of my life to be his straight man."

"If I'd told that ugly woman womb joke, the New York papers would kill me,"
Clinton laughed.

Although he has retired, Bush said certain things have not faded in memory.

"After 14 years, no one forgets if you throw up on the Japanese premier," he
said. In 1992, Bush vomited on Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa and collapsed
at a state dinner in Tokyo because he was ill with a virus.

Although Bush, a Republican, and Clinton, a Democrat, were once rivals, they
are now part of the exclusive club of former U.S. presidents — the only
other ones still alive are Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford. Clinton and Bush
have teamed up to raise money for natural disasters, such as Katrina and the
2004 Asia tsunami.

Asked if the White House would remain occupied by either a Bush or a
Clinton, as it has since 1989, Clinton said he didn't know and did not think
his wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, had decided if she would run on
not.

"If she were to be elected I think she would do a good job," Clinton said.

"Yeah, but I'm having a little difficultly picturing this fellow walking
behind her like Prince Philip behind the queen," Bush said.