[Rhodes22-list] Latest on the Boat - peel away

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Tue Nov 14 19:33:18 EST 2006

Hank..

what kind of peel away did you use?  I picked some peel away "6" up at lowes
that had a graphic of a boat w/ bottom paint, said on the container said
works on marine paint, safe for fiberglass.. but the manufacturer (dumond)
web site does not mention either for "6".

their web site shows "marine safety strip" for removing marine bottom paint,
and marine saftey strip II for removing marine bottompaint without removing
barrier coat or for gelcoat in poor shape (much more expensive product).
I assume these 2 are also west marine's safety strip and safety strip pro.

re leaks...

..I have an '80 pretty much gutted and am putting it back together... have
been chasing leaks as well....  its sealed up well now.  The main culprits
were clogged drain tubes and /leaky drain tube fittings as has been
mentioned by several others.  its amazing how much water can be collected in
the cockpit during a decent rain!  (also, if parked on the slope in front of
my house it sits stern end up a bit collecting water at the forward end of
the cockpit....  i was tipping it back to drain after a heavy rain and a bit
too quickly found what Rik referred to... RAPID overflow into the lazarett
hatch.  won't do that again.)  anything that allows the water to go into the
hull as opposed to draining can easily put a LOT of rain water inside
quickly.

also if you watch rain water normally running off of the hull it tends to
find paths to "stream"...  if one of those paths goes by a poorly seated
side nav light or similar, it can also channel a good amount of water in..
but probably not near as much as you are seeing.

when down to the last few dribbles, i dusted some cornstarch baby powder
around likely spots inside the cabin  which "recorded" the paths of any
water dribbling in.

good luck w/ the boat

bob m