[Rhodes22-list] Joke: Compassionate Conservatism

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:24:00 EST 2006

Bill,

Read Steele's book or "Uncle Sam's Plantation" by Star Parker.  The
architects of the Great Society had their hearts in the right place, but the
programs have been a failure.  I don't know what the answer is but what
we're doing isn't working.  Unemployment is at an all time low.  You can't
get that last 4% to work, and if you can, let me know who they are, we could
use them on the coast.

Brad

---------------------

November 15, 2006 White Guilt Doesn't Help Blacks*By* *John
Stossel*<http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/author/john_stossel/>

Complaints about racism dominate the media discussion of the disparity
between black and white success in America. Comedian Chris Rock captures the
prevailing sentiment between both races when he tells white audiences, "None
of ya would change places with me and I'm rich! That's how good it is to be
white!"

A white author, Tim Wise <http://www.lipmagazine.org/~timwise/>, gets
applause from students on American campuses for talking about "white
privilege." Wise's message is in huge demand -- he does 80 speaking
engagements a year. When we taped an appearance at Skidmore College,
students of all races praised him as "eloquent," "phenomenal," and "so on
point."

But among some black intellectuals a new perspective has emerged, one that
puts racism and "white privilege" low on the list of problems plaguing black
Americans. Shelby Steele's latest book, "White
Guilt"<http://www.harpercollins.com/book/index.aspx?isbn=9780060578626>,
argues that whites do blacks no favors wringing their hands about white
privilege.

"I grew up in segregation," Steele said during my interview with
him<http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2629192&page=1>.
"So I really know what racism is. I went to segregated school. I bow to no
one in my knowledge of racism, which is one of the reasons why I say white
privilege is not a problem."

Steele claims, "the real problem is black irresponsibility," which has
produced high illegitimacy and high-school dropout rates that limit black
progress. "Racism is about 18th on a list of problems that black America
faces," he says.

Steele says too many blacks and whites are stuck in the old conversation, as
though it was 1950. And he thinks there are questionable motives for this on
both sides: "If we can get a big discussion going about what white privilege
is, we never have to look at what blacks themselves are doing. And black
responsibility. How are we contributing to our own problems? How are we
holding ourselves back? Why don't our children do better in school than they
do?"

Whites' preoccupation with guilt and compensation such as affirmative action
is actually a subtle form of racism, Steele says. "One of the things that is
clear about white privilege, and so many of the arguments for diversity that
pretend to be compensatory, is that they advantage whites. They make the
argument that whites can solve [black people's] problems. ... The problem
with that is ... you reinforce white supremacy all over again. And black
dependency."

Steele says that when blacks make racism their central focus, they mire
themselves in destructive victimization -- and sabotage their own chances
for advancement.

"White privilege is a disingenuous idea," he says. In fact, now there is
"minority privilege."

"If I'm a black high school student today, there are white American
institutions, universities, hovering over me to offer me opportunities.
Almost every institution has a diversity committee. Every country club now
has a diversity committee. I've been asked to join so many clubs, I can't
tell you. There is a hunger in this society to do right racially, to not be
racist. ... And I feel rather privileged by it. I don't have to even look
for opportunities, in many cases, they come right to me," he adds.

But there is still racism in America. At ABC News I've aired hidden-camera
video that showed salesclerks spying on black customers, cab drivers passing
blacks to pick up whites, landlords lying to blacks about vacancies, and
employers favoring white-sounding names. So don't whites owe blacks
compensation for that and for past injustices?

Steele answers, "You owe us a fair society. There's not much you can do
beyond that. There isn't anything you can do to lift my life up. I have to
do that."

"The fact is," he adds, "we got a raw deal in America. We got a much better
deal now. But we can't access it unless we take ... responsibility for
getting there ourselves."

He makes good points. White privilege exists, but it's not the whole story.