[Rhodes22-list] Hartwell Alligator

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Nov 19 04:31:15 EST 2006

Captain Rummy:

     I noticed that this year we did not have reports of him around the
lake.  So that is where he is hiding?  Does your wife know about the missing
cats?

     Old news report, "His name was George. He was a huge alligator and he
lived – in all places – in Lake Hartwell. Randy Geddings told me about
George. Randy was one of the DNR agents who was instructed to go do
something about Big George. As Randy put it, “All the books say that
alligators don’t live this far north. But George never read any of those
books – he didn’t know any better, so he just lived in Lake Hartwell and
grew huge.” The problem was that people didn’t like seeing a ten or twelve
foot long alligator cruising just offshore from their boat docks on the
Seneca River.  And so when enough complaints came in, it was up to the DNR
to go and dispose of this magnificent animal. “The really sad thing about it
all” said Randy “was that Big George was probably in the lake because
someone had bought him on a trip to Florida when he was a baby.”  Baby
alligators are kind of cute in their own way.  It is kind of like having a
miniature dinosaur living in your house.  The problem is that alligators
will never make good pets and they most certainly do not stay little for
long.  Once baby George filled up the bathtub, the folk who brought him back
from Florida probably realized they had trouble on their hands.  So they let
him loose in Lake Hartwell. "

      But do not worry, read this news release by wildlife department:
http://sercc.com/news/Yr2006/april17/april17_gator_pic.html

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA